How to Choose The Best Defense Law Firm for Your Case
If you were recently charged with a DUI, CDS, assault or other criminal matter, please read this important letter.
If you were recently charged with a DUI or other criminal matter, please take a moment to read this important advice to help YOU make the best decision when retaining a law firm. The advice contained in this letter is intended to put you on the right track to success and it will save you time, money and headache if you have never retained legal counsel.
Since the economic downturn, many general practice and civil lawyers have undertaken representation of people charged with DUI and criminal offenses. It is important that you, as an educated consumer needing effective legal representation, make an informed decision when retaining counsel because the negative consequences of a criminal conviction are permanent. A criminal conviction can affect your license, your work (and future jobs) and can land you in jail. Thus, here is what you need to know when considering how to select the best DUI & criminal defense law firm for your situation:
1. Initially, is the lawyer courteous and generous with their time on the phone? Are they giving you appropriate, timely, courteous assistance? If not, it will not get better when you become a client. You still will not be able to speak with them and your questions and concerns will go unanswered. Move on immediately or you will be disappointed and end up having to hire and pay another lawyer down the road. Trust me, we see it all the time when clients come to our office after being disappointed elsewhere. If an attorney does not have the time for you before you retain them, they will not have the time for you after.
2. If the lawyer cannot make arrangements to meet you immediately on your schedule, and not on their schedule, then their priorities are not correct, and it will not get any better once you retain them. If the lawyer is not willing to meet with you immediately on a night or weekend when you are available, and instead desires to schedule your appointment several days after your call, it means two things, either your case is not a priority to that lawyer and/or he does not have the resources to handle your case on a timely basis; neither of which are a good sign for you and your important criminal matter. Move on.
3. Is the lawyer a solo practitioner? While there are any number of good DUI and criminal defense attorneys that practice law by themselves, consider how this can affect your case. If that lawyer becomes ill, if that lawyer gets tied up in another case or goes on vacation or decides to go to his kid’s hockey game on your trial date, then your case is postponed and you are left holding the bag. Criminal charges are nerve wracking, serious matters and need to be a priority for the attorney you select. Retaining a firm with multiple lawyers and paralegals, all available to assist you on a timely basis can be a wise idea.
As an example, DUI cases are very emotional matters with a lot riding on the outcome. DUI defendants desire to have their cases resolved as soon as possible; you will not want to hear that your case is postponed another 4 months (on top of the initial 3 months in took to get a trial date) because your lawyer had a sore throat that day or was on vacation, and there is nobody else familiar with your case to help. Bear in mind that size of the Law Firm matters, back-up lawyers, resources, paralegal personnel all matter in the development and defense of your case. Multiple lawyers, paralegals and resources can mean better and more effective case development and therefore better results for you.
4. Money is always a consideration in the defense of criminal cases. Some clients may initially desire to spend the least money possible; NOT a good idea. There are many levels of lawyers ranging from the $500 lawyer for which you may receive a junk letter soliciting your business in the mail, up to the accomplished DUI/criminal defender that has the time, knowledge and dedication and is highly focused on the defense of your case. If you have a career (professional, military, license, government clearance, high level degree, CDL etc.), a family to protect or a strong desire to continue working and driving, then seek appropriately experienced representation and be prepared to pay a fair and reasonable fee for the lawyer’s experience, knowledge and representation. Lawyers that do not charge a reasonable fee either do not intend on defending you in court or they may not know how; both are unacceptable. If the fee is too low, move on.
5. Look on the Firm’s website to determine the Firm’s knowledge & experience in your needed area of defense. Do the lawyers engage in continuing legal education and belong to professional groups in the needed area. For DUI cases, are they NHTSA certified on the field sobriety tests? The sobriety tests are a critical part of any DUI defense. Are they members of the National College for DUI defense, does the lawyer take the time to pursue continuing training in the Defense of DUI cases to stay current on the lawIf the attorney you are speaking to does not have these qualifications, it should tell you something about their commitment to the defense of criminal cases. It may mean they are a general practice lawyer who has recently added DUI or criminal defense to their repertoire or it could mean they just don’t care about staying current; neither of which helps protect you. Move on.
6. Is the Firm seen as an authority in the field of DUI and criminal Defense. Do news organizations turn to that firm for advice when criminal matters pop up in the news? If the news agencies see the firm as an authority on DUI and turn to them to educate their viewers, that is certainly a very significant vote of confidence that the firm knows what it is doing and would be a good choice to protect and defend you and your family (assuming the other elements in this letter are present)
7. VERY IMPORTANT- with the explosive proliferation of DUI ads all over the Internet it has become very difficult to make an informed decision as to who to retain unless you are willing to carefully read and compare a plethora of DUI websites; this is time consuming work which folks may not always have the time to undertake, even for this important matter. However, what if that research was meticulously, thoughtfully and neutrally done FOR YOU? Would that be helpful?
At Robinson & Associates high-level clientele choose our firm to represent them and their family members. We are privileged to have letters from the White House in Washington DC, from a variety of 3 letter Federal agencies, the City of Baltimore, articles from the Baltimore Sun, the Daily Record all commenting on the successful results we have achieved for our clients over the past 20 years we have been defending DUI cases. We have been privileged to represent Judges, Federal Judge’s children, lawyers, doctors, countless military, pilots, police officers, NASA, teachers and so on. This is critically important to YOU the consumer because many of the people on this list have the absolute best ability to determine who is tops in the criminal field. That is unbiased, thoughtfully considered advice regarding the Best DUI/Criminal lawyers. The research is done for you so you don’t have to guess, spend hours reading DUI sites, or spend days wasting time visiting lawyers.
Bottom Line: Bruce Robinson & Associates fits the total bill as described above, our experienced TEAM of DUI/Criminal professionals is here for you right now; weekends and evenings to help you. We will immediately schedule a free consultation and review your case with you.
If you are still not sure after reading this letter and seeing our clientele, print this letter, shop around but please keep these important guiding tenets in mind. It’s how you hire the best law firm for your needs.