All your life, you may have been the picture of an upstanding citizen. But one mistake or misjudgment could lead to your very first run-in with the law: a first offense DUI arrest. If your first legal issue happens to be a DUI charge, you will no doubt feel anxious, frustrated, and even frightened about the potential consequences you will have to face. In order to alleviate your fears, it is important to know what to expect in your first offense DUI case. Read on to find out more.
- What happens to my license when I am charged with a first offense DUI? For first-time DUI offenders, the standard response is a six-month license suspension.
- Will I face jail time for my first offense DUI charge? The first time you are charged with a DUI, it does not necessarily follow that you will face jail time as one of the consequences. With the aid of a qualified DUI attorney, you may be able to avoid any period of incarceration. For DUI arrests, a maximum of one year’s incarceration may be ordered if you do not have an effective defense team working on your behalf.
- Will I have to pay a fine for my first offense DUI? A first offense DUI charge may incur a fine not exceeding $1,000. This fine can be increased past the $1,000 limit, however, if a minor was also present in your vehicle at the time of your arrest.
- Are there other fees associated with a first offense DUI? In addition to the aforementioned fine, there are court fees and other expenses associated with your DUI arrest that you may end up having to pay.
- Does attending a rehabilitation or treatment program reduce the consequences of my DUI arrest? In certain cases, demonstrating a willingness to seek treatment for alcohol use can work in your favor in the eyes of the court. It is important to discuss your options with your DUI attorney in order to determine what the best course of action regarding treatment programs will be.
If you have been charged with a first offense DUI, get in touch with a competent DUI attorney today. They will be able to guide you through the process from beginning to end and help you get back on track after your indiscretion.
Bruce Robinson & Associates
Bruce Robinson & Associates is a criminal defense law firm based in Baltimore, MD. If you have been accused of criminal actions and need to seek aggressive counsel, Robinson & Associates is here to help. For more information and to schedule your free consultation, give Robinson & Associates a call at 443-524-7395 or visit us at www.marylandcriminallawyer.com. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.